"Alone, even doing nothing, you do not waste your time. You do, almost always, in company. No encounter with yourself can be altogether sterile: Something necessarily emerges, even if only the hope of some day meeting yourself again." (E.M. Cioran)

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Music, Music...


Yes, I have only just discovered Julianna Barwick. Her basic approach is something I like to do myself - layering vocals by harmonising against the previous one(s) (or over what an instrument track suggests to me) - but Barwick has clearly perfected something here. It's a little Enya-like - to make a very obvious comparison, though without the 'ick' factor. There are only suggestions of words in the cathedral-like spaces she creates with masses of reverb, her angelic voice and perhaps a hint of bass or piano. I'll let this - the title track of her most recent album, 'The Magic Place' - speak for itself. If the embedded version gets removed, I promise I'll put the link in here instead.

No comments: